Home » About
Access Press exists to promote the social inclusion and legal rights of people with disabilities by providing a forum for news, features, opinion and conversation to benefit people who are often invisible and marginalized in mainstream society.
To be the predominant source of independent, comprehensive information that enlightens, empowers and improves the quality of life of people living with or associated with all forms of disability throughout the upper Midwest.
- We believe in our roles as catalyst for discussion of critical issues facing disability communities.
- We campaign for full integration of people with disabilities in all areas of life.
- We persist in demonstrating the power of people with disabilities and their allies.
- We galvanize alliances between and amongst disability communities, knowing these associations serve a greater good.
- We share a desire to educate the non-disabled about issues of importance to disability communities in an effort to promote awareness and systems change.
- We strive for a mutually beneficial relationship with organizations and businesses serving disability communities.
Access Press, Ltd. is a 501 (c) 3 non-profit Access Press, Ltd. is a 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization dedicated to serving people with disabilities by publishing disability-related news and information. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, it is one of only a few disability-focused newspapers published in the United States. Access Press is funded through individual contributions, sponsorships, and paid advertising along with grants from philanthropic organizations.
The first issue of Access Press was published in May 1990. Since that first edition, the paper has been published continuously on the 10th of each month.
Access Press currently distributes to individuals, libraries, businesses, centers for independent living, community centers and organizations in Minneapolis-St. Paul Metro and nine other Minnesota and North Dakota city locations including Duluth, East Grand Forks, Fargo, Hibbing, Mankato, Marshall, St. Cloud and Willmar. In addition to the printed publication, the paper is produced in audiotape format using a special radio channel for people with visual impairments. The articles from each edition are also posted on the www.accesspress.org.
- Our print distribution fluctuates, especially since the pandemic. It includes nearly 900 subscribers at home or the office and bundle drops across the state.
- We have 2,000 unique visitors to www.accesspress.org per month.
- Nearly 4,000 people follow us on Twitter.
- We have more than 2,000 active Facebook followers and page likes.
- Because readers routinely share copies of the paper, the total Access Press readership is much larger than it seems and is not clearly determined by one solid number.
Editor – Jane McClure
Executive Director – Holly Anderson
Ad Manager – Staci Reay
Web & Operations Coordinator – Tricia Donovan
Cartoonist – Scott Adams
Columnist/Staff Writer – Tim Benjamin
Production – In-Fin Tuan
Co-Founder/Publisher (1990 – 1996)- Wm. A. Smith, Jr.
Co-Founder, Publisher and Editor-in-Chief (1990 – 2001) Charles F. Smith
Executive Director and Editor-in-Chief (2001-2020) – Tim Benjamin
Board of Directors
Please find full staff and board member bios here.