We, as ACCESS PRESS board members bring our expertise and concerns to address the needs of disability groups as they make decisions based on facts. As a newspaper we inform our readers so that they can lobby and advocate for members of the disability community. The board of directors views itself as a conduit to the public for the concerns of all disability communities in the Upper Midwest. We are non-partisan in all ACCESS PRESS affairs.
MISSION STATEMENT: ACCESS PRESS exists to promote the social inclusion and legal rights of people with disabilities by providing a forum for news, features, opinions, and conversations to benefit people who are often invisible and marginalized in mainstream society.
TITLE: Member, ACCESS PRESS Board of Directors
REPORTS TO: Board Chair
ROLE: To be a voting member of the ACCESS PRESS board of directors, responsible along with other board members for supporting state-of-the-art business operations and a sustainable and growing financial base, and fiduciary oversight. We oversee and promote general fundraising efforts on behalf of ACCESS PRESS including but not limited to annual giving, major gifts, planned giving, memorial and honorary gifts, and corporate sponsorships. Board members participate in developing, implementing, and monitoring advertising, editorial, and social media policies guided by the ACCESS PRESS mission.
TERM: Board members serve three-year terms following the calendar year (January-December), with a maximum of three terms (9 years)
BOARD ATTENDANCE: Board membership requires attending regularly scheduled board meetings unless excused by the president. The Access Press Board of Directors meets every third Tuesday of the month from 3:30 PM to 5:00 PM. In general, board members can expect to engage in board activities five hours or less per month, depending on committee assignments. Video attendance is supported for regular board and committee meetings, and all meetings are currently held via Zoom.
- Hire, supervise and evaluate the Executive Director and Editor.
- To perform annual performance reviews for the Executive Director and Editor
- To fully understand and support the mission of ACCESS PRESS
- Read the newspaper and follow the website each month
- Participate in one or more committees, attend extra meetings whenever necessary, and help plan and attend special events
- Help develop, promote, and secure the financial resources necessary for the current and future operational integrity of ACCESS PRESS through making meaningful annual gifts to ACCESS PRESS, cultivating relationships to take advantage of financial networks and resources in your purview for Access Press’s benefit, and a willingness to participate in other fundraising activities in a way in which you are comfortable. Examples are: accompanying the Executive Director on in-person or video cultivation/solicitation/stewardship donor visits, introducing persons of influence to ACCESS PRESS for philanthropy advancement, and writing personal thank you notes to donors for their gifts.
- Develop and monitor short and long-range planning and goals
- Represent ACCESS PRESS to the public and within the disability community
- Bring personal and professional expertise to support the mission of ACCESS PRESS
- Board members are NOT involved in editorial decisions