Access Press brings readers news about Minnesota’s disability community. Now we’d like to share some news about us.
Access Press has struggled in recent years. That’s all too true for many publications.
We’re pleased to announce that we’re turning the corner. While some news sources have gone to online-only status, we will continue our print publication and work to improve our online product. We’ll re-evaluate those decisions at the end of 2023.
Retaining a print edition is important for us because not all of our readers are able to read news online. That is especially true in parts of Greater Minnesota where Internet access can be challenging.
We’re grateful for the support that allows us to do this. Access Press thanks our advertisers and donors. We don’t take any of you for granted.
My byline started appearing in newspapers when I was 12. I turned 65 in June and extend thanks to all who donated to my recent Facebook birthday fundraiser for Access Press.
Things have really changed since I would drop off typed articles in rural Iowa newspaper offices. That’s as true for newspaper production as it is for newspaper economics.
There’s much more competition for fewer advertising dollars.
Some locally owned businesses have been purchased by or pushed out by regional or national chain businesses that lack connections to local news and advertising sources.
We are a longtime nonprofit news source. We face more competition for grant funding than we ever did. Smaller newspapers and websites are muscled out by the bigger sites that can dedicate staff resources to grant writing.
In July, we’re having to move legislative updates to our website and other news. But we’re committed to print. We have to be.
So here’s our request:
- Let us know your immediate advertising needs. Talk to Mary Graba, business manager, at 651-644-2133 ext. 2 and she can help.
- As your business or nonprofit prepares its 2024 budget, factor us in for advertising and promotions. We can help with cost estimates. We offer a good range of print and online options. Mary can discuss those.
- If your nonprofit has communication needs tied to a grant, talk to us about a communications partnership before the grant is submitted. That will help us both!
- Keep the donations coming! Donations to Access Press are tax-deductible.
- Consider supporting our November 3 awards celebration and fundraiser. But tickets, sponsor a table or help us cover other expenses.
Thank you again for supporting Access Press. We couldn’t do it without you.
– Jane McClure, Editor