Contact: Sarah McKenzie, 612-396-2201
Sign up to be notified whenever a Snow Emergency is declared
Oct. 30, 2023 (MINNEAPOLIS) Snow season is approaching. Minneapolis residents should watch their mail for information on what to do when the City of Minneapolis declares a Snow Emergency. Residents can avoid a ticket and tow, and also help crews do a complete job by moving their cars when a Snow Emergency is declared. The City is sending out about 182,000 Snow Emergency mailers, one to each household in the city. The mailer has graphics and text showing the parking rules during the three phases of a Snow Emergency.
People should hold on to the mailers throughout the snow season and have them handy whenever a Snow Emergency is declared. They explain the Snow Emergency parking rules and ways to stay informed during the snow season. Following the rules can help make snow season easier for everyone. It’s also important to help neighbors and visitors know the rules.
Snow Emergencies are declared when there’s enough snowfall to warrant a complete plowing of our streets. Moving vehicles allows crews to plow the full width of the street. When the snow flies, City Public Works crews have enormous jobs to do, with more than 1,400 miles of streets, parkways and alleys that need to be cleared. Vehicles parked on the street in violation of Snow Emergency rules can be ticketed or towed.
Getting drivers to follow Snow Emergency parking rules helps the City, too. Towing and impounding vehicles is expensive and makes plowing inefficient, so it’s in everyone’s interest to help drivers follow the parking rules and avoid a ticket and tow.
Sign up now, stay informed throughout the season
There are several ways to know when the City has declared a Snow Emergency. We suggest getting information about Snow Emergencies in more ways than one. The more ways people use to learn about a Snow Emergency, the more prepared they will be to do their part, and the less likely they will be to be towed.
- Hotline: Call the automated 612-348-SNOW hotline. If a Snow Emergency is in effect, the hotline will have recorded information on that day’s parking restrictions that drivers need to follow to avoid tickets and tows. The hotline includes information in English, Spanish, Somali and Hmong.
- The City’s website: Go to the City’s website to find out if a Snow Emergency has been declared. Information on Snow Emergencies is available in many languages. Also, see the Snow Emergency parking map, which lets you put in an address or a neighborhood to see where you can park during a Snow Emergency.
- Phone calls to residents: Minneapolis uses automated phone calls to notify residents when Snow Emergencies are declared. The system can place thousands of calls per hour. Sign up for phone alerts.
- Social media: Like Minneapolis Snow Emergency on Facebook and X.
- Email and text alerts: Sign up to get Snow Emergency alerts emailed or texted to you.
- Smartphone app: Drivers who have Android or iPhone devices can download the Snow Emergency app. During a Snow Emergency, the app will tell them the parking rules for that day. It also has the Snow Emergency parking map, which allows users to see the parking rules in detail by entering an address.
- The news media: News releases are sent to the media so TV, radio stations and other news outlets can inform their viewers and listeners that a Snow Emergency is in effect.
- Cable TV: Tune in to Minneapolis City TV (Comcast channel 14 or 799.) These channels will have information in several languages when a Snow Emergency is declared.
- Videos: Informative videos in English, Spanish, Somali and Hmong are available online to help explain where you can park when a Snow Emergency is declared:
Minneapolis Snow Emergency Parking Rules (English)
Find out where to park your car when a Snow Emergency is declared to avoid a ticket and a tow
Averigüe dónde estacionar su carro cuando se ha declarado una Emergencia por Nevada para evitar una multa y remolque.
Hel meel aad baabuurka dhigato marka lagu dhawaaqo gurmad barafka looga xaaqayo wadooyinka si aan gaariga lagaaga jiidin laguuna ganaaxin.
Thaum muaj daus tau lo, lub nroog yuav tsum tau kaus kev. Pej xeem yuav tsum tau tshem lawv lub tsheb, lub nroog thiaj li kaus tau kev du lug.
Please post your own city’s snow emergency info in the comments.