Access Press is taking part in Give to the Max Day 2020 on Thursday, November 19. Plan to join GiveMN and thousands of Minnesota nonprofits and schools as millions of dollars are raised for the organizations which make our communities stronger.
Access Press has taken part in Give to the Max Day since the event began several years ago. Last year’s event raised $21.6 million for 5,610 organizations.
Now more than ever, our newspaper must rely on contributions from readers and supporters. Advertising revenues have declined as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Access Press must ask for more support from readers to help us through these challenging times.
Access Press turned 30 years old in 2020. We are one of the few publications in the country that covers a wide range of disabilities. We cover issues important to Minnesotans with disabilities, and celebrate accomplishments. We do this without the usual media focus on people with disabilities as objects of pity.
It’s important for us to continue as a source of news and information but we need support to do so. Our goal this year for Give to the Max Day is $20,000.
We have made many budget cuts to keep Access Press viable, including moving to a virtual office. We are working to bring in new advertisers and funding. But we cannot do it alone.
How can you help? We have some specific asks that supporters can fund.
- $30 pays for a one-year subscription for a reader who cannot otherwise afford our print edition. While much news is online, Access Press still has many readers who rely on a print newspaper. A donation of $30 per year helps those readers get the paper delivered to their homes.
- $60 pays for an organization or group to be listed in our Directory of Organizations or DOO. The DOO is printed four times a year and is online 24/7, providing access to key resources for people with disabilities.
- $150 covers the cost of mailing our newspapers to Greater Minnesota news stands for a month.
- $250 covers the cost of maintaining a Twin Cities area news stand for one year.
- $500 allows us to buy office supplies for one year.
- $1,000 allows us to hire freelance writers and photographers for a year.
Look for Access Press at GiveMN! We will be posting updates on our Facebook page this month and on the day itself. Thank you for supporting quality, disability-focused journalism. Thank you for supporting Access Press!